This is a recipe suitable for any backyard cook off party - simple, flavorful, and tasty chicken! The citrus beer marinade does all the magic and the resulting chicken is juicy and tender down to the bone.
¼ cup lemon juice
½ - 1 tsp. chili powder (optional)
½ tsp. sea salt
1 chicken, cut up into pieces (8-10 pieces)
1 bottle (12 oz.) Leinenkugel’s Summer Shandy Beer
1 ½ tsp. sea salt or to taste
¼ cup sugar, plus extra
1 tsp. black pepper
2 tbsp. Curry's Tandoori Spice
¼-1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper powder (optional)
2 tbsp. vegetable oil, plus extra for sautéing
1. In a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice, chili powder (if using), and salt.
2. Marinate the chicken pieces in this marinade for 30 min.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk together beer, salt, sugar, pepper, Tandoori Spice, and vegetable oil.
4. Remove 1 cup of this marinade and keep it aside.
5. Remove the chicken pieces from the first marinade and add it to the beer marinade. Cover the bowl and keep it in the refrigerator and marinate it for 12 to 24 hours. Turn the pieces of chicken several times.
6. Cook the remaining marinade over medium high heat and keep stirring until it reduces to half. Add some more sugar to balance the seasoning as reducing may make it savory. Keep it aside for glazing the chicken while roasting.
7. Remove chicken from refrigerator and bring it to room temperature. Drain chicken from the marinade.
8. In a hot sauté pan over high heat, brown the chicken pieces on both sides.
9. Transfer the chicken to a baking sheet. Brush the pieces with the glaze and bake at 400 F oven for about 20 minutes. Brush the chicken with the glaze two more times. The chicken is done when the internal temperature registers 165° F and it is nicely brown with a few char spots.
Dr. Gayatri Borthakur, a nutritionist turned entrepreneur, has a PhD in nutrition and a passion for delicious but healthy foods.