You may have tried many recipes of corn bread for regular meals or during Thanksgiving to serve with the roasted turkey center piece. But this recipe is slightly different than all the rest because we have used a secret ingredient here. It's the Indian staple spice blend called Garam Masala. You'll love the mellow flavor of the muffins that will surely complement any roasted poultry or meat.
1 cup corn meal
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ tbsp. baking powder
¾ tsp. baking soda
¾ cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1-1½ tsp. Curry's Garam Masala
½ - ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup milk
½ stick butter, melted
1 whole egg
1 tbsp. ground flax seed (Flax seed powder will replace one egg in the recipe and also add some fiber)
3 tbsp. water
1. Heat the oven to 400 degree F.
2. Mix the flax seed powder in 3 tbsp water and keep it aside until it turns into a gel consistency.
3. In a separate bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.
4. In a small bowl, mix butter, milk, egg, and the flax seed powder mixture until it is smooth.
5. Add this liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and mix gently until the dry ingredients are just wet. Do not over-mix the batter.
6. Spoon this batter into the prepared muffin cups.
7. Bake the muffins for 15-20 min. or until they are nicely brown and toothpick comes out clean.
Dr. Gayatri Borthakur, a nutritionist turned entrepreneur, has a PhD in nutrition and a passion for delicious but healthy foods.