It might sound like these brownies have a very complex flavor, as I have combined a lot of different ingredients in this recipe. But I definitely didn't plan this recipe just to make another big hit in my test kitchen.
We have a Hot Cocoa beverage mix available in our online store as well as in retailers in downtown Chicago. The product is a combination of 75% dark chocolate and our signature spice blend Chai Spice, which is a blend of highly aromatic spices (cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, star anise, and more!).
Spices like those especially release their aroma when they are infused in something containing high fat. So when our Chai Spice is combined with dark chocolate (high in cocoa butter) they meld so well that the result is a hot drink that will leave you with a taste of creamy, chocolatey, highly-fragrant goodness.
So I always wanted to try a brownie recipe combining these two winning ingredients together.
A few weeks ago, I happened to see a recipe for brownies that had avocado in it. It sounded strange but I was quite sure that the result would be awesome since I often make Indian flat-breads with avocado for its high content of good fat . This fat keeps the bread soft and fresh for a long time as opposed to regular bread containing no avocado.
I decided to incorporate this good fat in my recipe so that it will be little less guilt when I indulge and also would result in a soft, melt-in-your-mouth brownie with rich dark chocolate taste plus my favorite Chai flavor. I am sure you will love the recipe as much as I did!
1 cup Flour
¼ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
¼ tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Powder
3 tbsp Butter, melted
½ cup Dark Chocolate Chips
1 medium-sized Avocado
¼ cup Water
¾ cup Sugar
½ tsp Vanilla Extract
1 ½ tsp Chai Spice, divided
½ cup Milk
½ cup Walnuts, roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Use butter to prepare a baking pan.
2. In a small heat-proof bowl, mix butter and chocolate chips. Cook in double boiler method until the chocolate chips are melted completely.
4. Peel and deseed the avocado and puree it with water until it is smooth.
5. Add the puree to the melted chocolate-butter mixture and mix well.
6. Add sugar, vanilla, and half of Chai Spice to this mixture and mix well.
7. In a medium bowl, sieve together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
8. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently mix. Add milk and mix until the batter is just wet. Take care not to over mix it.
9. Pour the batter on to the pregreased pan and smoothen the surface. Sprinkle the remaining Chai Spice over the batter.
10. Sprinkle the chopped nuts on the top and bake it for 25 – 30 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean when inserted at the center.
12. Let it cool completely before you cut it in your desired shapes.
Quick & simple plum jam with decadent dark chocolate!
1 cup chopped plums (skinned, if you prefer)
1/2 cup sugar (may vary depending on the ripeness and sweetness of your plums)
2 tbsp lemon juice
¼ cup grated, good quality dark chocolate (75% or above)
1 teaspoon Chai Spice (optional)
Place plums, sugar, and lemon juice in a stainless steel saucepan over medium high heat. Keep stirring to keep the plum mixture from sticking to the bottom. Once the mixture reaches a boil, turn the heat down, and simmer until the mixture reaches the desired jam consistency. At this time, test the jell setting point by following any of the methods given here.
Add grated chocolate and stir until it melts and incorporates well. Add the Chai Spice and mix well.
Note: The warm spices like cinnamon, cardamom and nutmeg in the Chai Spice complements the sweetness of the dark chocolate in the jam.
Dr. Gayatri Borthakur, a nutritionist turned entrepreneur, has a PhD in nutrition and a passion for delicious but healthy foods.